Student Intern Conduct
Guidelines for a Successful Internship
• Learn the policies of the internship host site and act appropriately.
• Be punctual. Keep your agreed-upon schedule.
• If you must be absent due to illness or emergency, notify your host supervisor immediately.
• Ask your host supervisor about the dress code during the initial visit and dress accordingly.
• Respect the confidentiality of the workplace, its clients and employees. You may be required to sign a nondisclosure statement at certain sites.
• Know your host supervisor’s expectations concerning your job performance.
• Show initiative by volunteering for additional tasks.
• Discuss any problems or concerns with your host supervisor and internship coordinator.
• Always act in a professional, courteous manner. Remember that you are a guest at the host site and a representative of the University of Alabama School of Library and Information Studies.
• Pay your tuition in full before starting your internship.